MSEd Special Education
Program Description: Prepares pre-service students, alternatively licensed or already certified teachers to work with students with disabilities who access the general curriculum in grades K-12. Prepares students to become ethical and compassionate teachers committed to serving the educational needs of a diverse population of learners, and to continually strive to add to the knowledge base of the profession of teaching.
Why Special Education?
- Addresses shortage of special education teachers within Virginia and across the nation.
- Increase in number of students requiring special education services, including those with learning, physical and developmental disabilities.
- Helps candidates become endorsed in Special Education-General Curriculum, K-12 as they earn an advanced degree.
Master of Science in Education — Special Education Program
- Incorporates newest instructional technologies, experiential learning and exposure to information related to classroom management, individual education planning and instructional delivery for students with disabilities in K-12 school population.
- 30 hours of special education and university supervised teaching coursework. An addition 3-9 credits may be required depending upon prior completion of initial foundation education courses.
Includes individual project in Curriculum & Instruction. Students will create a project that develops better home-school connections.
- Offers students a personalized education that nurtures them as valued and supported individual learners.
|Education foundation courses required for initial licensure:|
|EDU510/EDUC510||Foundations of Education||3|
|RDG523/EDU523||Foundations of Reading||3|
|PSYC510||Advanced Human Growth & Development||3|
|Masters Degree Requirements|
|SED/SEDC565||Foundations Legal and Medical Aspects of Special Education||3|
|SED/SEDC571||Characteristics Student Disabilities||3|
|SED 533||Language Acquisition/Reading Methods||3|
|SED 569||Collaborative/Consultative Strategies||3|
|SED 575||Transitions for Students w/Disabilities||3|
|SED 567||Special Education Instruction, Behavior Management & Assessment||3|
|SED 573||Curriculum, Instruction, Service Delivery||3|
|EDU 647||Projects in Curriculum & Instruction||3|
|EDU 661||Internship in Student Teaching K-12||6|
|or Seminar course designed for provisionally licensed teachers:|
|EDU 613||Management & Mentorship I||3|
|EDU 614||Management & Mentorship II||3|
|Passing score on VCLA & VRA or RVE|