ADVANCED PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE IN TESOL
The Advanced Professional Certificate in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) provides a basic credential for teaching English to speakers of other languages worldwide. This 18-credit program can be applied towards the Master of Science in Education-TESOL degree.
This is not a licensure program.
Students enroll in the Advanced Professional Certificate seeking the following opportunities:
- Interest in adding on to the content of the Professional Certificate in TESOL
- Desire to obtain a full complement of knowledge about the TESOL field before entering a graduate degree program (master's or doctoral level)
- Plans to travel to a foreign country and teach English in an entry-level position
Admission to the Advanced Professional Certificate in TESOL program requires the following:
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university or college
- 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (4.0 scale)
- 3.0 grade point average for prior graduate courses, or satisfactory GRE scores (general test) earned no more than five years prior to enrollment
- Three letters of recommendation
- Applicants whose native language is not English must submit either a satisfactory TOEFL score earned no more than 12 months prior to the date of enrollment or satisfactory GRE scores as described above
- Applicants must also submit an essay
Advanced Professional Certificate in TESOL Course Requirements
|TSL 501||The Profession of TESOL||3|
|TSL 502||Linguistics for TESOL||3|
|TSL 523||Methods and Materials for Language Teachers||3|
|TSL 541||Language and Culture||3|
|TSL 561||Second Language Acquisition||3|
|TSL 524||Assessment for Language Teachers||3|
Transfer credit: Transfer credits will be granted on the basis of review by the TESOL faculty. A maximum of three (3) hours of credit may be transferred when earned at an accredited institution and when the credits fulfill required courses.
Please contact Dr. Steven Humphries with any questions: [email protected]