Prerequisites for the Career Switcher Program
Career Switcher prospects must submit a complete application package prior to being accepted into the Career Switcher Program:
- Advanced Deposit Form
- Completed Application Form
- Official Transcripts showing a Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college/university accepted by the Virginia Department of Education and Licensure
- Report on Experience Form(s) showing five years full-time work experience (or its equivalent)
- Passing Virginia Communications and Language Assessment (VLCA) test scores
- Passing PRAXIS II test scores (subject area content)
- Current resume
- Criminal Background Check
Detailed information regarding submission of these forms and documents may be found on our Apply Now webpage.
Shenandoah University can review your transcripts in order to help determine what subjects you are best suited to teach. For a review, please send your transcripts to the address listed below and attach your contact information.
School of Education and Human Development
Office of Education Outreach
ATT: Denny Keffer
1460 University Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
Fax: (540) 665.4726
If you earned your Bachelor’s Degree outside of the USA, please note that you must have your transcript evaluated by an accreditation agency. This must be a course by course evaluation. Click here for a list of agencies.
Endorsement Areas Offered through SU's Career Switcher program
Shenandoah Univeristy accepts the following areas of endorsement in our Career Switcher program:
- Mathematics 6-12
- English 6-12
- History and Social Science 6-12
- Earth Science
- Foreign Languages preK-12
- Career and Technical Education
- Family & Consumer Sciences
- Technology Education
- Business Education
- Marketing Education
- ALL Middle School Subjects
- Health and Physical Education preK-12
- Music K-12
- Art K-12
Please note that Elementary Education, Special Education and ESL are not areas of endorsement offered through the Shenandoah University’s Career switcher program.
Criminal Background Checks
Prior to final acceptance to the SU Career Switcher program, all participants must undergo a criminal background check through Shenandoah University. Information will be distributed to students with their registration materials. Please note that this background check includes a Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) check. The fee for this check is in addition to the tuition for the Career Switcher program.
Applicants with any concerns regarding their criminal background check should contact the Coordinator of Education Outreach prior to applying for the program.
Some school divisions require their own background check and students completing a field experience in those districts will complete an additional background check at the school division's expense. Students will be notified of this additional check when beginning their practicum field experience.